Recipe: Tortang Talong (Eggplant Torta)
E isn't really a fan of eggplant so when he's away I sometimes make this just for me. Despite the fancy name, it's really just a sort of eggplant omelet. I grew up eating this with a little ketchup on the side. It makes a filling breakfast or lunch and it's super simple to put together.
- 1 oriental eggplant (the long skinny kind, not the pear shaped kind)
- 1- 2 eggs (depending on the size of the eggplant)
- 1 tbsp milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp of vegetable oil
- Prick the eggplant skin with a fork and either boil it, roast it, or microwave it (approx 5 minutes) until it's tender.
- Slit the eggplant in half but be careful not to slit all the way through the meat. The meat should be soft. Take a fork, and press it flat.
- In a bowl, scramble the egg, milk, salt and pepper.
- Take your eggplant and drench it in the egg mix.
- Lightly fry it in a pan with oil, skin side, then meat side. If some egg is left in the bowl, just pour it over the eggplant while it's in the pan.