Jersey Tank Tops

Sunday, September 2, 2012
I've been working with jersey a lot lately, and love the way it drapes. It's so forgiving since it has stretch to it, and you don't have to worry about finishing edges since it doesn't fray. I got myself a twin needle, and am getting better at using it, but I have botched a few lines LOL.

I took an old tank top, traced it to make a pattern, and recreated it two ways. The first top is exactly like the original, but in grey jersey.


The second top I left loose beneath the arms like a triangle, then made the hem asymmetrical. A trapeze style top? It's loose and drapes wonderfully. I should have made the neck band a touch tighter, but I still like it! It's so comfortable.


If you want to make a pattern from your own clothing here is a good introductory tutorial: Making Your Own Pattern via Sweet Verbena. I also found these websites helpful: How to Sew a Classic T-shirt Neckband and Tips for Sewing Jersey.
Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top