Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Sew and Tell: The Lemonade Dress

yellowDress2

A lace curtain from the 80's + yellow knit from the 70's + a salvaged zipper = a summery, lemon yellow confection dusted with icing. I'm more of a neutrals kind of gal, and on it's own I thought the yellow was too bright, but the lace tones it down a bit. It's a demure little frock, that reminds me of summer picnics, tea time, and weddings.

Here's a closeup. It was my first time sewing darts:

yellowDress1


It took a week to sew from start to finish, and for the bodice I used the free Coffee Date Dress pattern via The Selfish Seamstress. I took the time to make a muslin of the bodice and made alterations to it before cutting the lace. I'm glad I did! I laid the lace on top so that I could figure out the best placement of the pattern in the lace. I also changed the neckline.

I didn't use a pattern for the skirt. I just cut out three rectangles and made a tube, then added a couple of pleats so there was no bunching at the bodice line. I wanted an exposed zip for the back of the dress, and that was a little tricky to figure out. I took my time, and in the end, by some miracle, it worked. Don't ask me how. I have no idea. This dress came together in a series of miracles.

yellowDress3


This time I used a facing to finish the neckline and armholes instead of folding or adding bias tape. I used a little interfacing on the facings so they wouldn't fray. I'm now a convert to facings. They were easier to sew in than bias tape or folded edges. They make your edges look so clean *swoons*


yellowDress4


It smells vintage... you know what that's like? A little musty. The only thing new about it was the thread. I think I may need to air it out some, before wearing it out. The dress itself is loose and comfortable, and perfect for summer days.

Total cost: $0 since I inherited the fabrics.

Now I'm wondering if I have enough fabric to do something with a full skirt, and a similar bodice. Hmm... I also dream of changing the darts on the bodice to princess seams.

2 comments :

  1. Cute dress, you are a very talented seamstress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! Long time no see. Hope you and the fam are doing well :)

      Delete

Comment